It’s been 44 years since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled on Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton, two decisions which greatly expanded the right to an abortion in America. Since then, pro-lifers have fought to save unborn lives. In fact, I often write about the difference between being attitudinally pro-life versus behaviorally pro-life. I want people to do more than say they are pro-life; I want them to do something to help stop the killing.
With the new year having just begun, there are a lot of things pro-lifers can do to make a difference (in any country, not just the United States). I’m always asked what those ideas are, so here’s a quick list.
- Don’t have an abortion yourself. This is easier said than done if you’re facing a crisis pregnancy. Being pro-life, though, needs to begin with each of us. Reach out to a crisis pregnancy clinic if you need help.
- Pick up some pro-life training material and learn it. There are a lot of organizations that provide material besides Stand to Reason. Life Training Institute and Equal Rights Institute are just two of many groups that provide good training.
- Engage with people who disagree with the pro-life view. After you’ve completed #2, you can begin by role-playing with a friend who agrees with you and then gradually move to people who don’t.
- Attend a campus abortion protest. There are many organizations that have events on university campuses. Usually, these groups train you before helping you to engage abortion-choice advocates on campus. I’ve worked with Justice for All and Equal Rights Institute—two groups that host such events.
- Take a group of like-minded Christians or pro-lifers on a pro-life mission scheduled through STR. You will spend two to six days on a mission trip devoted solely to the pro-life cause.
- Volunteer your time and/or skills to a pregnancy resource center or crisis pregnancy clinic. These organizations are on the front lines of saving lives. You can find one here.
- Financially support a pregnancy resource center or a pro-life leader or group.
- Vote for pro-life candidates or policies.
Even if you don’t make New Year’s resolutions, saving lives shouldn’t be a seasonal thing. Look at the list above and plan to complete at least two this year.